Attention: test the sidewide alert

What do I do if I provided the wrong e-Profile ID or date of birth when I submitted a claim for CPE credit?

Contact the provider and give them the correct information. If you realize that your NABP e-Profile has an incorrect date of birth, submit the required documentation.

Note that error messages displayed during the CPE submission process on your providers’ websites are not generated or affiliated with any of our processes or services.