Attention: test the sidewide alert

I only dispense Medicare Part B drugs. Do I need to be accredited to keep my provider number?

No. Drugs used with DME (eg, inhalation drugs, drugs infused with a DME pump) are not subject to CMS Quality Standards or accreditation. Likewise, other Part B drugs identified in section 1861(s) of the Act (eg, immunosuppressive drugs, oral anti-emetic drugs) are not subject to the Quality Standards or accreditation. Thus, pharmacies that dispense only Part B drugs and do not furnish any DMEPOS subject to the CMS Quality Standards do not need to be accredited.

Although accreditation is not required to dispense products not subject to the Quality Standards, suppliers are required by the NSC to obtain/maintain a Medicare Billing Number by submitting or updating a Medicare Enrollment Application.

Contact the NSC for information about enrollment options via the internet-based PECOS or the CMS-855S form (paper enrollment form). Call the toll-free phone number at 866/238-9652 from 9 AM until 5 PM EST to reach a customer service representative. The automated response system is available 24 hours a day.